Thursday, November 02, 2006

My Boy Brandon

After spending a couple weeks with the same kid at work, it has been hard not to get attached to the guy. His name is Brandon, he is 20 yrs old and autistic. To be honest, at first I was a little freaked out by him, he can be pretty loud when he talks in what sounds like gibberish, and usually rocks back and forth sitting down or sways side to side standing up. But after a little while with the guy, you're all of a sudden in a very interactive relationship, picking up most everything he tries to communicate, and enjoying his company.

Though I have to say I was not happy when we stepped out of my car at the park and I saw that he had a little accident and his pants were soaked. But then it hits me, and I realize how I am so worried about my car being clean and not thinking at all about a man who just wet his pants. This job is always humbling, pointing out my selfish attitudes and the great need there is for people who will look beyond themselves.

His single greatest pleasure is the car ride, and closely behind that is his love for apples. He also likes to pull his shirt over his head to play around, and this time as you can see from the picture, he fell asleep soon after.

3 comments:

Lynn V. Jones said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Michael, Thanks for the pictures and info about Brandon. You are such a blessing to anyone who knows you and I am sure he has a good sense of that. Go Michael.

Anonymous said...

Michael, enjoyed the info about Brandon and he is very blessed and fortunate to have you.Ann