Saturday, November 18, 2006

Mirror Back

An interesting thought was brought up by my roommate when I talked about my guy friends of old, the men who did life with me at Michigan State. I was telling her about them and I was quickly taken back by the great amount of confidence that swelled. This then exposed some of my lack of confidence I have been standing in with my current experience at Mars Hill, the different man here in Seattle than the man who was at MSU.

Why the discrepancy? This is where Eden comes in, when she talked about how people reflect back who we are, both the good and bad. Those men back at MSU did this, they reflected back to me the man that I was, leaving me confident about where I stand as a man.

This was relived the other day, when Kyle, my old friend from MSU said, "Do you realize you are the hottest bachelor is seattle this moment??!!!" It was a rediculous comment, but nevertheless it felt pretty dang good to hear and it gave me the confidence I needed that moment.

And as for this new place of Mars Hill...I'm not sure, I'm more confused about where I stand, what they all think of me. I don't think it is in any way their fault - if anything that is expected when you meet new people in a totally new place - but it definitely has its affect.

The picture is in honor of the man, the myth, the kmac, who always told us to "step it up a notch!' Thanks for the comments Kyle, much appreciated.

1 comment:

J Rhea said...

Loved this post. Step it up a notch has become a battle cry for me and my new crew in Kzoo. But I'm still trying to figure out my place here... but what I learned is, so is everyone else.