Monday, May 21, 2007

Portland Revisited


Another weekend in Portland. Eden played a show at the Hawthorne Theatre, a great place close to Mandi and Kathy's where we stayed.

On the way down we ended up talking a lot about the Object Relations book we're reading (grad student nerds), but it really led to some amazing conversation, which will probably make it to another blog...invaluable to be discussing this stuff as we're going through it. I am grateful to have friends to really be able to do that, who are as excited to talk about this stuff as I am, who don't just want to coast through this program. Could not be any more different than undergrad for me.

We grilled some burgers and had some drinks before Eden played (btw it's spring and I need a grill) and then after the concert we came back and grilled some more.

For sure the biggest laugh came on the way back, where we ended up at a fairly confusing stoplight/train track. Long story short, we ended up somewhere in the middle of where we were supposed to stop and the train tracks. Red lights blinking, I looked up to see the train gates directly above, descending quickly. We all froze as they landed on top of the car. Lynn backed up as the antenna held one of the gates, eventually letting go, flinging the gate back and forth. The train passed and we went on our way. A little scary how close we got to the train, but also probably the most I've laughed in a long time.

2 comments:

Lynn V. Jones said...

and, good news! there are no marks on the top of my car to show for it. I'm glad I was able to cause so much joy in your life my friend :-)

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Loved the pictures!