Friday, April 06, 2007

Liminal Spaces in Time

"If thou dost more rely upon thine own reason or industry, than upon that power which brings thee into the presence of Christ, it will be long before thou become enlightened; for God will have us perfectly subject unto him, that being inflamed with his love, we may transcend the narrow limits of human reason." Thomas Kempis

I came across this reading the other day and it evoked these thoughts in me. Thinking of counseling, I was reminded that despite my attempts to get the right words out there, I do not reason with someone's soul, I engage it with my own. It is in knowledge and reason that we know of time and limits, and it is in love that we know of eternity held in a moment, of expanses of depth and meaning and beauty that transcend any reason or formula. We were made for those moments, those liminal places, where the boundaries between what is now and what will be are blurred. It is in those liminal places where the kingdom is as here as it can be. And still not quite yet.

2 comments:

J Rhea said...

Man, the Kzoo crew and I have been talking about living in liminal space for the last month. Standing in the doorway... leaving what was and going to someplace that is hopefully better and more true. Even created a facebook group for those with liminal tendencies.

Funny that you're thinking about the same things.

Michael said...

thats crazy. In class this weekend my prof started to talk about it also.

I heard Dan say the word awhile ago and I looked it up and liked the idea.