Friday, October 06, 2006

Derek and Sandra


Last night I went and saw Derek Webb and Sandra McCracken play at a local church. Unfortunately Sandra didn't play many songs, Derek took most of the stage, but it was good to see him for the first time. I think I was surprised how much I enjoyed the songs from his Mockingbird album, they seemed to have more substance live. And I was remembered of his poignant lyrics, both from the new album and of old. He is definitely a prophet of this age, calling us to the truth of Jesus' upside down kingdom. The song 'My Enemies Are Men Like Me' does that for me, reminding me of what it really means to love our enemies (how rediculously hard that is - what does it look like to love terrorists, the enemy of our country?), and that I am no better than what I think is the enemy. Here are the lyrics:

i have come to give you life
and to show you how to live it
i have come to make things right
to heal their ears and show you how to forgive them

because i would rather die
i would rather die
i would rather die
than to take your life

how can i kill the ones i’m supposed to love
my enemies are men like me
i will protest the sword if it’s not wielded well
my enemies are men like me

peace by way of war is like purity by way of fornication
it’s like telling someone murder is wrong
and then showing them by way of execution

when justice is bought and sold just like weapons of war
the ones who always pay are the poorest of the poor

No comments: