Thursday, August 13, 2009

Yo Mama's Cleats


Despite a tumultuous attempt to round up the troops, it looks like the birth of a fall soccer team has just begun. Getting at least 15 people to commit and pay lots of money to play soccer is a feat only those who live for this stuff should undertake (thank you craigslist).

After watching the highlights of the US-Mexico World Cup qualifying match today, I am keenly reminded that I am one of those people. Watching those goals, every one has an epic feel to them. Every one takes my breath away. Taking another look in slow motion obviously captures it the best, revealing every attempt by each team to either get that damn ball somehow in the back of the net or once again get that last touch that is just enough to push the ball wide or over the top.

And when that ball does get in there, when that net moves, the degree of elation that I know so well from my own days playing is like witnessing the impossible just becoming possible. I think that is part of the celebration, the fans and the players release that tension, that feeling of “holy shit, it actually went in!!! oh my God, that’s amazing!!!”

While we will obviously not have the intensity of a World Cup qualifying game, I can’t wait to carry some of that intensity that soccer has always held for me into the season. Yo Mama’s Cleats has begun.

No comments: